Clinical Correlation First and Final Reflection

When doing a self-evaluation, I consider myself in the developing stage moving towards proficient. I feel as though I clearly understand the content and am focused on collecting relevant information. However, I am only able to elicit details and think of differential diagnoses that I am familiar with which would still place me in the developing stage due to my limitations in symptomology, related pathologies, and disease conditions. I hope as I continue to learn about more disease states, their pathologies and symptomology, that I become more proficient at eliciting pertinent information and coming up with the correct differential diagnoses. I think I am able to present information in a logical and organized fashion, but where I could improve is being able to explain these dense scientific topics in laymen’s terms to practice my patient communication style.  I am developing in my analysis phase as I am able to identity relationships and components, but at times, I am still not well-versed in some diseases, conditions, and their symptomology. I am relatively proficient in communication and collaboration; however I am still working on finding a balance where I am voicing my opinion effectively, yet still giving others the opportunity to voice theirs.  These conversations being done over a Zoom conference as opposed to in person adds a layer of difficulty at times, but the more we do it, the more natural it becomes.  My goal is to contribute appropriately and express my thoughts clearly and coherently while keeping my ears open at the same time.

After my last clinical correlations class I feel proficient at eliciting information that is needed to make a differential diagnosis. My weakness remains understanding which treatment to start with for the differentials diagnoses for certain populations. For example, I struggled with knowing how to treat first time non-symptomatic A.Fib (beta blockers) versus a symptomatic A. fib patient (cardioversion). I look forward to clinicals sharpening my skills about what to order and how to treat conditions based on the patient’s clinical disposition/age/labs based on evidenced based medicine.